September 19, 2013

Autonomous Region of Bougainville

Sorry it's taken awhile for me to get this post up, as stated in my previous post I've been having trouble and am still having trouble with Blogger for some reason. But another gal here said she has been having the same problems but she evenutally is able to get blogs posted.

So, I'd like to introduce you to what has been my home for about the past 3 months. The Autonomous Region of Bougainville (AROB) is made up of the large island of Bougainville, the smaller island of Buka and many other smaller islands. Here is a map that includes the different languages that make up the AROB.


The SIL Center is located on Buka Island just outside of Buka Town. Here is a link to a video I made of the center.



Here are some pictures from Buka:
 This is our view every day.
 We get some beautiful sunrises. 
 
We have a market that is about a 2 minute walk away. They have a lot of great produce.
They also have Galip Nuts, one of my favorite things to eat here. 
You can only find them in the South Pacific.
 
There is a bigger market in Buka town with similar thing but a lot more of it. There is a section that sells fresh fish and a section that sells handmade items like jewelry and baskets.
 
This is the church we go to, it is about a 2 minute walk away.
They are in the process of expanding the front of the church. 
 
The center is on top of a cliff over looking the ocean. Nearby the center there is this wonderful set of stairs that leads down to the ocean.
This is what you find at the bottom. Beautiful!!
A gas station in Buka town. Gas comes straight out of the barrels it comes in.
 
Do to a lot of reefs all around AROB you can find abandoned ships that have gotten caught on the reefs for various reasons and not able to get free. 
Boat travel is a main way to get around. This the main boat dock in Buka. 

In my time here, I have had the joy of being able to visit other parts of Bougainville, however Buka is where I spent most of my time. I have been blessed by my time here. I have learned a lot and have made many new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment