September 7, 2012

Catching Up

Wow, it has been a long time since I have wrote a blog.  I am so sorry!!!

Here are somethings that have happened since:

I finished my linguistics classed at SIL-UND in Grand Forks, ND.  I had an amazing summer.  I learned so much and I was blessed with an amazing community.

I had four classes that I was taking.  One was Articulatory Phonetics where we learned about all the different sounds in spoken languages from around the world. The following charts were my worst enemies and my best friends all summer. 
IPA Help consonent chart
IPA Help vowel chart 
My other classes were:  
Syntax and Morphology I, were we learned about the in-depth structure used to build words and sentences.   
Introduction to Sociolinguistics, were we looked at how language is used in society
Learner-Directed Second Language Acquisition, were we learned a new method of how to learn a language and I was a part of a group that learned Colombian Sign Language.

Once I was done with classes for the summer I spent a week in the Twin Cities in Minnesota.  I helped out with Debriefing week at Youth Encounter.  It was so great to be back in the community again!!

Now I am back in Kentucky!! It is great to be back here, but I am not liking the heat or humidity.  But I know I just need to get used to it.

Right now I am working on all the different forms I need to send in for my Visa to PNG.  This is a very stressful process and I am trying to take it one day at a time and remember that God has it all taken care of.

I have an update in regards to my time frame while in PNG.  After a lot of prayer of the summer I have felt God telling me that I am only to be in PNG for one year and not two.  I have realized that going for two years was my own desire and not God's.  I feel really good about this decision and I know that what ever God has planned for me in PNG it will be an amazing year!!

I am still in process of building a support team to go.  I am going to be honest, I don't feel like I am very good at this.  I am very excited and passionate about what God has for me to do, but I am not very good at conveying that to other people let alone people that I barely know. 

That is where I am at right now.  Hope it won't be as long till my next posting.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!!

1 comment:

  1. I hope it won't be as long the next time either, or you will be on a plane bound for PNG! ;-) Time does fly!

    I am curious what the experience of the other people in your training group has been as far as building support. Were they also finding it as challenging? Were there any who were finding it easier, and did they have any suggestions? Or do you think it just has a lot to do with personality?

    I think you do a great job of communicating, helping people understand the need for the work and the nature of the work you are going to do. You have a large percentage of friends who are like-minded, and possibly involved in similar ways, or already supporting as many people as they can. That makes it extra hard. You have to reach the "unreached" in the American pew. I will be praying that God will put you in touch with people who are ready to become supporters for the first time, and asking him to bless them as he transforms their perspective about the resources he has given them. May he make it their joy and privilege to be a part of this team of senders!

    ReplyDelete