May 20, 2013

Life in Matukar

I am excited to able to get back to sharing on here, it has been way too long.

I want to first tell you about my time in Matukar where I lived for 5 weeks. So the next couple blogs will be about my time there.

First I'll share with you some general things about life there.

My roommate, Crystal and I had a couple (and their family) that looked after us. Here we are with our waspapa and wasmama.
We lived in their house with them. Here is the outside of the house. 

And here are some pictures of the inside. 


This is where we did all our cooking.

This our room.


 We got all our drinking and cooking water from this pump. We would filter it before using it. 

For bathing and washing clothes we would go here. It was where a river emptied into the ocean.
For drying our clothes we had an area in front of our house that was called wae-sand. They were rocks from the beach. When they got hot your clothes would be dry with in hours.
We had a full load that day!
At first we also would wash our dishes in the same place, but then our waspapa set up a washing station right by the house.

Some days we needed to go to the store to buy some more food. There were two right across from our house. We mainly went to one of them because it was open more and the owner was a family member of our wasfamili.

And for those of you who are wondering here is our toilet.

Right before we left Crystal did a quick video.

Next blog I'll be sharing with you about our times we went to the garden!!

No comments:

Post a Comment