January 5, 2014

Enga or Bust!!!

Just like anyone else missionaries need a vacation every once in awhile too. I was so excited that it worked out for me to go spend two weeks with Julie and Anton Lutz in Enga Province. I met Julie and Anton when I was in PNG in 2007. Here is a picture from back then. Sadly Steve, Julie's husband is no longer with us.

So to start my vacation I met up with Julie, Anton and their friend Ruth in Goroka. For three days we attended a national conference on Sorcery and Witchcraft Accusations.

It was a very good conference that I know we all learned a lot at. It was also a very difficult conference at times as we saw very graphic pictures and listened to stories from victims.

From there we headed up to Enga. Along the way we got flower wreaths that are only sold in a very small stretch of the Highlands Highway. Most people use them as car decorations, I thought it looked better as a crown.

We also had to stop for coffee along the way. During my two weeks I learned to appreciate the taste of good coffee!!

It was so fun to just hang out with Julie and Anton and not think about work. One day we got all the Christmas decorations out and decorated the house. It's been awhile since I've done this so it was so much fun.


It was also a lot of fun to celebrate my birthday while there. We went on an awesome hike up to a radio tower. They made me amazing enchiladas for dinner and I made my oatmeal cake.




There is some pretty incredible views in Enga!!


And some pretty fun animals too. These are all pets of the Julie and Anton. Not pictures are five snakes.



One day we went to a cultural center and learned how they make sand paintings. These guys do amazing work!!!






I am so appreciative of Julie and Anton opening their home to me for two weeks and I loved my time with them. I really hope this is not the last time I will be visiting them!!


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful warm memories. God's joyous blessings in the new year! Julie

    ReplyDelete